GUST Font License
The GUST font license (GFL) is legally identical to the LaTeX Project Public License (LPPL), version 1.3c or later, but please observe its additional but not legally binding clause. Some font families developed by the “GUST e-foundry” are released under this license.
It is intended to do so for all “GUST e-foundry” products.
- The text of the GUST FONT LICENSE (GFL)
- A templatefor the MANIFEST-SomeFontName.txt file
- A sample README-SomeFontName.txt file
- A separate instruction for authors wishing to release under the GUST font license is not yet available but the roles of MANIFEST-SomeFontName.txt and README-SomeFontName.txt should clearly follow from the text of the license itself.
- Karl Berry (TUG) and Jerzy Ludwichowski (GUST) wrote a short paper describing the GFL and its usage. It might be read in conjunction with an earlier article referred to in the “Historical part”, see below.
- A presentation (EuroTeX 2009, Den Haag, Holland) on releasing the TeX Gyre fonts under GFL.
Comments, remarks, questions, discussion points and the like can be posted to this dedicated font-licensing mailing list, hosted by TUG. We are especially interested in issues related to licensing of free fonts.
The Historical Part
As of September 15, 2006 the licenses described hereunder are not in use. This part of the site will be left as is for historical reasons. Perhaps some day “A Cautionary Tale: Think Thrice Before Trying to Create Your Own License” might be written and then it will become clear why GUST no longer thinks that GFSL and GFNSL are adequate licenses.
In the amended version of an article the reasons for constructing the licenses are briefly explained. The article also describes the mechanics to be followed when releasing a font under one of the licenses. It was written by Jerzy B. Ludwichowski, first published in GUST, Polish TeX Users Group, Bulletin no 23, ISSN 1230 5650, issued at the occasion of the XIVth BachoTeX Conference, 29th April – 2nd May 2006.
The GUST FONT SOURCE LICENSE
- The text of the GUST FONT SOURCE LICENSE (GFSL)
- A template MANIFEST.txt for the GFSL
- A sample introductory part of the README file for the GFSL